I came across a Food Selection Guide flyer that shows a low purine diet.
As I’m suffering from gouty arthritis, I’ll make a post of it here and use it as a reference every now and then of what to eat and what not eat.
This may also help other people who are suffering from gout.
Foods You Can Eat Regularly
- Vegetables except those that are listed under Foods You Should Eat Moderately
- Cereals and cereal products
- Dairy products like milk, yogurt, cheese, eggs (just keep in check that some of these are high in fat)
- Sugars and syrups
Foods You Should Eat Moderately
- Meat soup and broth
- Legumes like beans, lentils, and peas
- Fish except those that are listed under Foods You Should Avoid Eating
- Kinds of seafood like crabs, eel, oysters, and shrimps
- Vegetables like asparagus, cauliflower, mushroom, and spinach
Foods You Should Avoid Eating
- Herring (lapad, silinyasi, tamban, tawilis, tunsoy)
- Mackarel (alumahan, hasa-hasa, tanigue)
- Mussels (tahong)
- Meat extracts
- Internal organs like liver, intestines, kidney, and pancreas
If you didn’t know, high-purine content foods can drastically increase the production of uric acid in your body that can trigger gout attacks.
This is why we should stay away from high-purine foods.
To add, the flyer also stated that we should stay away from alcoholic drinks.
It is able to increase uric acid and delay the release of it out of your body.
If you’re asking, I think that the flyer is sponsored by Allopurinol since its name is in it.
I hope this list can also help you when figuring out which foods to eat and which foods to avoid if you’re suffering from gout like me.
Be healthy always!